Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Don't Mess With Mama Bear!


   "Woman shoots intruder in the face!" I saw this story on the news this morning and I am still cheering this Mama Bear on.  I got chills imagining myself in her shoes.  She's at home with 9 year old twins and there's a knock at the door followed by incessant ringing of the doorbell. She calls her hubby who tells her to grab the kids and hide while he calls 9-1-1.  
     The intruder breaks in and ransacks the house. The terrified woman is on the phone with hubby and the 9-1-1 operator as the intruder is closing in on their hiding place.  Hubby keeps her calm and urges her to start blasting  with her .38 caliber revolver if the intruder opens the door to their hiding place.  She hit the guy five times in the face and he still managed to make it out of the house and drive off before crashing his truck and being arrested.  So I can only imagine what may have happened if this Mama Bear had not been armed, ready and willing to use her weapon. 
     While the entire situation is a tragedy it is viscerally satisfying for me as a wife and mother to know that the cowardly intruder who meant to do this woman and her children harm got a painfully rude awakening.  A situation like this is a perfect example of why the gun control issue is so frustrating.  Some statistics say that a victim who is armed is more likely to be shot or killed than a victim who is unarmed.  But as we all know every situation is different and I, like most every Mama Bear, would prefer to have some fire power on my side in a life or death situation.   I'm just saying.  Let me know how you see it?

4 comments:

  1. Another great read MaLinda! I don't know! As a Mama Bear myself and a single mom at that I really have mixed emotions about having a gun. On one hand I want to protectmy son in every way possible...but on the other hand I don't feel I have any need for a gun in my house. Its had d because we live in a crazy world full of evil people...but I am a Christian and would be a hypocrit if I lived in fear...wouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fancy...yes living in fear would be hypocritical. I definitely feel you on concerns of having a gun in the home with a child. But there is something to be said about knowing that you can protect yourself if necessary. Another thought to ponder for us Christians. Does owning a gun for protection mean we don't trust God to protect us? Hmmmm?

      Delete
  2. We had a problem in France.
    A man who had worked for us decided he could shake us down..my husband being confined to bed.
    He broke down the door, entered, assaulted me and my husband descended with his garden gun...he fired in the air..the man did not desist.
    He fired low...the man was trying to put me on the ground and got a cartridge in the backside.

    The local police...the gendarmerie...thought we should have had no problems...but the man was French and we were English... so we had to go to appeal to get rid of his inflated claim for damages....no way was the local prosecutor going to take him to court for assaulting me and breaking into our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow what an experience! I am thrilled that you were able to protect yourselves. It is a shame that you had to deal with so much drama afterwards. That had to really be frustrating.

      Delete